As an Employment Consultant one of the most common questions I’m asked is often how to find or write achievements on a resume. Sure we all know achievements are what sells the resume or CV to the Employer but how does one go about pinpointing that these are?
I’ve compiled a ‘Resume Achievement Questionnaire’ to take the guess work out for you. Answer the following questions and your next resume is halfway written all ready.
Ready to get started? Here we go…….
- Describe a problem that you recently solved at work. What was the problem? How did you solve it? What was the result?
- Have you completed any training, tickets or licences not listed on your resume? What were they? How could you use them in this position?
- Have you ever worked with cash? What amounts were you authorised for? What amounts did you handle? Did you have any added responsibility such as balancing the till, locking the money in the safe etc.?
- Have you ever worked in customer service? What was your customer feedback like? Did they ever give you gifts, cards or mention you in a positive light to management?
- Has customer services formed a part of your Key Performance Indicators? What has your score been? Did you meet or exceed these targets? By how much?
- Have you ever participated in in house training or further professional development? For example: First Aid, Fire Warden Safety or Selling Skills?
- Have you had anything to do with marketing or advertising? Where were you working? What was your role? Was it successful?
- Have you ever made a lot of money for a business? Where were you working? How much did you make? How did you do it?
- Have you ever saved a lot of money for a business? Where did you work? How much did you save? How did you achieve this?
- Have you ever worked in a place where you had sales targets to meet? Where did you work? How did you meet them? Did you exceed them? By how much?
- Have you ever given a presentation or sales pitch to a large group? Where did you work? What did you do? In front of how many people?
- Have you ever implemented a new way of doing things in the workplace? What was the situation? What was the result?
- Have you ever needed to make a difficult decision? What was the decision? What was the result?
- Have you ever managed an investment portfolio? How much was it worth? What were your achievements?
- Have you ever managed a team? Where did you work? How did you manage them? How many people did you manage?
- Have you ever resolved a dispute? What was the situation? What was the result?
- Have you ever negotiated a deal with a company? What was the deal? How did this benefit the company?
- Have you ever had to plan a conference, party or event? For many people? What steps did you take? What was your feedback like?
- Have you ever had to manage a budget? How much were you responsible for? What steps did you take to ensure that you did not go over budget?
- Have you ever been featured in the media? Where? What for?
- Have you ever written a published article? Where? What About? When?
- What has your feedback been like on performance reviews?
- Have you won any awards (Team Member of the Month etc.)?
- What professional memberships do you have and which associations do you belong to?
- Have you completed any community service or volunteer work? Where? What did you do?
- Have you ever been rapidly promoted? Where did you work? What was the position? What was the timeframe?
- What computer programs do you have experience with? What do you use them with?
And Presto! You now have the information you need to work out what your career achievements are and how to find and add these on to your resume:)