Challenge 2- Make Sure Your Job Is Right For You
First up, you should know that the start of this challenge is going to cover multiple career assessment techniques. This is because it is so important to love you job. I mean, you spend the majority of your life there – so make sure you like going!
In the old days, it was said that a job is a job and to some extent that is the truth. If you don’t have a job, anything that can put food on the table is a priority. But – once you have your basic needs met, it’s time to start upgrading to a job you actually like.
Skimp on the following challenge at your own risk!
Your challenge is to answer the following questions to help you identify the right job for you. This is not a career personality test (but we will cover that in a later challenge). This is a challenge to identify what a workplace has to have to make it a job you love.
Do not cheat. Yep, we are always tempted to say ‘yes’ because we have our hearts set on something, but be honest or regret it later.
Pull out a pen and paper and let’s go:
- Is travel important to you? Domestic or International? Local or Interstate?
- Do you need flexibility to cater for small children, pets, ill relatives?
- How many holidays do you need every year?
- Is routine important to you, or do you thrive on shift work?
- What is the minimum amount of money you need to make?
- What amount of money do you want to make?
- Is a fly In/fly out role suitable? Can you work away from home?
- How long can you work away from home for?
- Do you need weekends off?
- Can you work night shift?
- Are you able to handle being on call? (Note: Usually this means you can’t be over the legal drinking limit for the whole time you are on call, so if you like to get tipsy every weekend, this is probably going to make you tear your hair out.)
- Can you start work at short notice, or do you need set hours?
- Do you need sick leave and all the benefits that come with full time?
- Do you like working with people?
- Can you handle working with small children?
- Do loud noises bug you?
- Are you okay with wearing a uniform?
- Are you cool with being supervised by others?
- Do you need to be the boss?
- Do you prefer to work alone or with a team?
- Do you prefer to work with large or small teams?
- Do you prefer to work indoors or outdoors?
- Do you mind getting dirty?
- Do you need constant stimulation, or do you prefer routine?
- Are you good with numbers?
- Does reading give you a headache?
- Are you cool with having conditions attached to your private life? For example, in some occupations it would be considered inappropriate to be seen dancing naked on a table on a Friday night, in others no one would bat an eyelid.
- Can you pass a drug or alcohol test?
To really get the maximum benefit out of the above exercise, I need you to keep this in a safe place, and every time you go to apply for a job, check it against the advertisement to ensure it matches your requirements.
Ready to rocket fuel your job search? It may be time to enlist in getting your resume professionally written. I write resume for people Australia- Wide through my easy to use online and phone resume writing service. I write professionally written resumes for people Australia-wide including those located in: Crescent Head, Deepwater, Emu Plains, Forbes, Inverell, Lightening Ridge, Milton, Macksville, Moree, Tara, Nelson Bay, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Toowoomba, Perth and more.
To view our price list – visit: http://nicolejessicacoggan.com/resumeservice